Valentino SS14.

Every now and again, a collection completely blows me away. Valentino, for the first time ever, presented such a collection during the Spring/Summer 2014 shows. Admittedly, it was only a few days ago that I even looked at the collection in detail. It was only after flicking through a fashion magazine of some sort and seeing British model Malaika Firth in the exquisite, opening look, I knew I had to see the rest.


Inspired by Medea, the Greek mythological figure, and in particular the Pasolini's film-opera concerning her, the collection was awash with part-sheer/part-embroidered minidresses, fringed capes and pleated maxi skirts.

It was hard to pinpoint the origin of the embroidery patterns themselves. They looked both Grecian and Egyptian but then also wouldn't have looked out of place in the Aztec world. These patterns in turquoise, magenta, coral, and red brightened the more subtle base tones of the collection. I wouldn't describe the palette as dark, it was more mysterious, which I suppose, is fitting with the mythological influences: deep reds, topaz blues and dark sandy tones were heavily featured amidst black, purple and emerald green.

See below for my favourite looks from the collection highlighting the key silhouettes, colours and embroidery patterns.









No comments:

Post a Comment